Infant & Child
Having children can be rewarding and frustrating in equal measures.
At The elbowroom clinic we have years of experience in helping mothers, babies and children overcome a host of problems.
From newborn babies who have problems feeding, teething, sleeping or suffering with colic and trapped wind, to older children experiencing problems with repeated doses of common illnesses (colds, coughs etc) to mild to serious skin problems (allergies, eczema etc).
Many of you choose a more natural approach to helping your children overcome such problems. Effective help is on hand if your baby is continually crying or making your own parenting journey an unhappy one.
We have had years of success with dealing with many infant and child problems including:
- feeding problems
- retained moulding (mis-shapen heads)
- digestive problems
- ear, nose and throat problems
- developmental delays (crawling, balance, co-ordination)
There are a multitude of reasons that your baby is experiencing problems but we have found the following unavoidable circumstances may explain any difficulties your child is facing.
- prolonged labour or long delivery (pushing stage)
- mal presentation of the baby during pregnancy (breech for instance)
- assisted deliveries (suction cup or forceps)
- c-section births
Our dedicated team provides services including ,Osteopathy, Homeopathy, Acupressure, Nutrition, midwifery and doulas
What to do if things are not going according to plan
Osteopathy – Birth is one of the most stressful events of our lives. During labour the body is subjected to enormous physical forces. At birth, the head of the baby is relatively soft and pliable which makes it vulnerable to trauma, and even for so-called ‘normal’ deliveries, the baby’s head is compressed, twisted and moulded in order to facilitate the birth.
After delivery the head gradually un-moulds, however this un-moulding process may be left incomplete especially if the birth was difficult such as:
- A long and difficult labour,
- Rapid delivery,
- Abnormal presentation such as breech
- Use of forceps or suction
- A small maternal pelvis or a large baby’s head
- A baby born by c-section. There can also be quite a lot of force used to bring the baby out backwards from the pelvis.
Some babies cope extremely well with severely retained moulding and compression, for others they can display a variety of problems such as:
- Irritably or long spells of crying,
- Feeding difficulties,
- Sleeping problems
- Wind, colic and digestive problems
- Ear nose and throat problems
- Misshapen heads
Osteopathy aids the body’s natural self-correcting mechanism to relieve traumas that may have occurred during the birth. Using their highly trained sense of touch they can identify and treat restrictions and disturbances using gentle pressure and this is not painful or uncomfortable for children.
Homeopathy – Proven to be safe, gentle and highly effective for children, homeopathy treats any ailment children display. Common ones we often find at the clinic are:
- Feeding and digestive disorders (colic, reflux, constipation etc),
- Developmental delays,
- Recurring infections,
- Skin problems such as eczema,
- Emotional disturbances,
- Repeated common illness such as colds, coughs and sore throats.
- Childhood illness etc.
The clinic owner, Lisa Wilkinson, has used homeopathy with both of her children and in 7 years has had to resort to antibiotics only once.
The elbowroom has an extensive range of classes for all ages and abilities. We offer such an eclectic mix to enable you to find something that will suit you. If you need any advice, please contact our class advisor who can point you in the right direction.