Developed from the rehabilitation techniques of Joseph Pilates, Pilates is a safe, exercise system using a floor mat or equipment, that will help you look and feel your very best. No matter what your age or condition, it will work for you. Pilates improves core strength, flexibility, agility and economy of motion. It can even help alleviate back pain and other chronic ailments.
The central concept of Pilates training is strengthening the so-called “Powerhouse” or core of the body – the deep abdominal muscles, buttock muscles and the muscles around the spine. A training program based on Pilates will stabilize the pelvis and shoulder girdle, stretching and strengthening the entire body with movement initiating from “the centre”.
All our instructors are fully qualified and certified to teach pilates, rehabilitation pilates, pre and post natal pilates. If you have been referred to us by your physiotherapist, please do notify us of your injury and get permission from your therapist before enrolling on a course. If injuries are serious, you may benefit from private lessons before joining a group course.
Which level is right for me?
- Foundation – Absolute beginners. Course introducing the pilates repertoire of level I mat work using the fitness circle. This foundation will create body awareness and initiate the strengthening of core stabilising muscles.
- Improvers – Moving on from foundation, improvers Pilates helps you bring together your co-ordination, strength and correct posture to start to build your core stability and strength
- Level II – Progression Pilates. Drop in classes, introducing level II mat work and pilates on the ball. This progressive course will build on your foundation skills and start to build power into your core muscles.
- Level III – Intermediate Pilates. Drop in classes building a pilates flow using the full repertoire using fitness circles and balls. The flowing action will deepen core stability
- Level IV – Advanced Pilates. Drop in classes with full pilates series using propulsion to increase the intensity of the movements.
The elbowroom has an extensive range of classes for all ages and abilities. We offer such an eclectic mix to enable you to find something that will suit you. If you need any advice, please contact our class advisor who can point you in the right direction.