Family Food: Vegetarian Chilli without the Chilli
My kids LOVE this dinner when I accompany it with taco shells, sour cream, iceberg lettuce, mashed avocado with lemon and some grated cheese and just let them build their own tacos! Without the dairy accompaniments, this is a vegan dish.
The recipe works with whatever beans and vegetables you have in, so feel free to experiment! Its a great way of getting veggies into the kids and for cutting down on meat, which might be perfect after Christmas indulgence!
This is also really nice with turmeric brown rice or sweet potato wedges and if you want to please adults only, add chilli!
- 1 onion (red if you have one)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red pepper chopped small
- 1 yellow pepper chopped small
- 1 carrot chopped small
- 1/2 a courgette grated
- 1 or 2 leeks depending on size
- a dash of oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tin of black beans or kidney beans (or whatever’s in the press!)
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- some fresh coriander
- Fry the onion, garlic and leeks on medium heat and stirring constantly until they become transparent.
- Add the peppers, carrots, and courgette along with the cumin seed and fry for 5 mins or so.
- Add the tinned tomatoes to the pot and the rest of the spices and turn the heat up and let it boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
- Drain and rinse the tinned beans and add them to the pot.
- Just before serving add the fresh coriander.
The elbowroom has an extensive range of classes for all ages and abilities. We offer such an eclectic mix to enable you to find something that will suit you. If you need any advice, please contact our class advisor who can point you in the right direction.