There are numerous benefits to pregnancy massage. One of the major benefits is how pregnancy massage promotes relaxation.
Relaxation is key to the production of oxytocin. This hormone when abundant, helps to soften the cervix in preparation for labour and keeps labour moving along.
Some of the additional benefits include:
- Tranquil relaxation and reduce stress,
- Relief from muscle cramps, spasms, and myofascial pain, especially in the lower back, neck, hips, and legs,
- Increase in blood and lymph circulation, which can reduce swelling,
- Reduces stress on weight-bearing joints,
- Improves outcome of labour and eases labour pain,
- Enhances the pliability of skin and underlying tissues,
- Provides support for the new mother with physical and emotional strains of mothering.
Studies done in the past 10 years have shown that hormone levels associated with relaxation and stress are significantly altered with weekly pregnancy massage, in particular in the last trimester. This can regulate your mood and improve heart health. These changes in hormone levels also led to fewer complications during birth. The evidence points strongly to maternal and newborn health benefits when relaxing, therapeutic massage is incorporated into regular prenatal care.
The elbowroom has an extensive range of classes for all ages and abilities. We offer such an eclectic mix to enable you to find something that will suit you. If you need any advice, please contact our class advisor who can point you in the right direction.