First Aid for Burns & Scalds
If your child has suffered a burn or scald you need to act quickly.
• Cool the burnt area immediately with cold running water for at least 10 minutes.
• Clothing retains heat and so remove immediately from the burnt area if possible, however, do not try to pull off clothing that has stuck to the skin. Otherwise cool for at least 10 minutes before attempting to remove.
• The size and depth of the burn will determine the type of medical help you need to seek. If worried about the severity of a burn always telephone 999/112.
• All burns on children should be seen by a doctor.
• To get your child safely to medical assistance cover the burn with cling film, it will keep the wound clean and has no fibres to stick to the wound.
For more information on paediatric First Aid, The elbowroom is hosting a 1-day workshop on ‘The Essentials’ on Saturday 28th October 2017 which you can book online or telephone: 01 677 9859.
The elbowroom has an extensive range of classes for all ages and abilities. We offer such an eclectic mix to enable you to find something that will suit you. If you need any advice, please contact our class advisor who can point you in the right direction.