Module 1: Advanced Pregnancy teaching and Induction support
Day 1: 9:30-5pm – Exquisite Sequencing and Deep relaxation with Melissa Curtis
Melissa is a qualified 250 & 300hr yoga teacher, prenatal & postnatal yoga teacher (15yrs teaching pregnant women), kids yoga & Yin yoga teacher, Pilates teacher, infant massage instructor & Marie Mongan Hypnobirthing instructor. Melissa has also taken part in two doula training (one of them with the renowned Michel Odent), a postnatal doula training, Uma Dinsmore Tuil’s Well-Woman Training and is also a breastfeeding counsellor.
Take your knowledge of prenatal yoga to the next level and add to your ‘yoga teacher toolbox’ by learning how to add more substance and flow into your pregnancy yoga classes with a whole new set of asana, sequences, mudras, chakra focused techniques, empowerment tools, birth focused asana and relaxation.
Integrate deep hypnosis techniques through movement, breathing and relaxation to your class. Learn how to empower women through techniques similar to those used in hypnobirthing for childbirth.
This course is designed for yoga teachers that wish to deepen their knowledge of prenatal yoga.
Day 2: 9:30-5pm – Supporting women through spontaneous birth/ induction with Lisa Wilkinson & Sam Taylor
A workshop to reduce the risk of induction and to increase your student’s chances of a spontaneous start to labour.
– The science of natural pregnancy cycles
– How to encourage a Natural Start
– Medical induction protocols
– Alternatives to induction
– To support women presented with induction “options” in the hospital
– Acupressure for pregnancy – Sam (qualifications)
– Learn how to use acupuncture to support the physical changes of pregnancy and labour.
– The principles of acupressure
– About the research on the use of acupressure for specific conditions such as nausea, back and pelvic pain
– How to support breech and posterior positions
– To safely support labour induction with acupressure
– Techniques to recommend for labour
Module 2: Teaching Couples Birthing Workshops with Lisa Wilkinson, Melissa Curtis & Private Midwives Ireland (Liz Halliday)
With over 15 years of teaching couples, Lisa and Melissa are now delighted to share their partner birthing workshops.
Learn how to support couples through the journey of labour and birth in a positive and nurturing environment. This module will offer comprehensive training which will include the whole cycle of birth from early labour to initiating breastfeeding.
Learn how you can empower couples to have self-belief whilst navigating the tricky waters of a hospital environment. Included with the module is a license to purchase and distribute training materials in your courses.
– Knowledge transfer of self-belief in birth. How to help parents trust anatomy and physiology are on a mother’s side.
– Building a birth toolkit a partner break out exercise
– How to practically keep adrenalin at bay at home, in transfer and in hospital.
– Sharing fears – how to support birth anxieties in a safe setting
– What to expect in each stage of birth and how partners can identify and support mothers
– How to help parents navigate the hospital system
– How to empower partners to advocate with interventions and managed birth scenarios
– How to still be active in birth in the face of interventions
– How to avoid interventions cascading
– Dealing with the third and fourth stage
– Supporting Breastfeeding
Module 3: Supporting Pregnancy Structural Disorders: An in-depth study
Working through pregnancy structural and pelvic floor issues with Orla Cross & Melissa Curtis.
Join Orla for a comprehensive study of the structural issues that plague your pregnancy clients. Learn to:
– Understand the anatomical structure of complex complaints such as sciatica, Symphysis Pubis Disorder (SPD), Tilted Pelvis, Scoliosis, Acute Lordosis, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
– Understand their implications for pregnancy and birth
– Support the recovery process by avoiding movement that may exacerbate the disorder
– Support recovery by adding exercises into your class
– Pelvic floor and abdominal health – uncover the function of the pelvic floor.
Learn how to:
– Understand the prevalence, context and consequences of urinary incontinence
– Understand the functional anatomy of normal pelvic floor structures and normal bladder and urethral function and hypothesis of continence.
– Understand the difference between, the weak, hypotonic and strong pelvic floor function
– Teach the correct method of pelvic floor exercises for each condition
– Understand the clinical definition and the risk factors for diastasis
– Understand the relationship between diastasis and pelvic floor dysfunction
– Understand the exercise precautions necessary in the rehabilitation of diastasis both ante and postnatally
– Be able to progress exercise complexity
– Work with a c-section mother safely
– Obstetric Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) Overview
– Be able to identify where PGP exists in the ante and postnatal periods and to outline suitable and unsuitable poses
– Be equipped to successfully help with exercise/yoga and to refer to where further intervention is required
The elbowroom has an extensive range of classes for all ages and abilities. We offer such an eclectic mix to enable you to find something that will suit you. If you need any advice, please contact our class advisor who can point you in the right direction.