What is Yin Yoga?
Would you like to deepen your practice, increase flexibility and increase your meditative abilities? Yin Yoga could be the perfect complementary practice and a welcome antidote to a busy lifestyle.
Yin yoga is a slow-paced style of yoga with poses, or asanas, that are held for longer periods of time—five minutes or longer per pose is typical.
Yin Yoga has the same goals and objectives as any other school of yoga; however, it directs the stimulation normally created in the asana portion of the practise deeper than the superficial or muscular tissues (which we are calling the yang tissues). Yin Yoga targets the connective tissues, such as the ligaments, bones, and even the joints of the body that normally are not exercised very much in a more active style of asana practice.
Through this introspective practise, we get to slow down, cultivate mindfulness and develop a sense of balance and grounding from within.
Try this Yin pose at home to get a taster.
Benefits of Yin yoga are:
- Deeper Relaxation
- Calming and balancing to the mind and body
- Increases mobility in the body, especially the joints and hips
- Regulates energy in the body
- Greater stamina
- Better lubrication and protection of joints
- More flexibility in joints & connective tissue
- A great way to cope with anxiety and stress
- Better ability to sit for meditation
Finish the new year with a fantastic Yin and Yoga Nidra workshop (click here to book ) with Anna Olson